There was a time when a person was not considered fully…
You probably choose your hat the same way you choose your clothes: you wear one that fits your style and your fashion sense. As the New Year approaches, you may have considered branching out a little bit in the headwear department. Whether you wear custom baseball caps or custom wool hats, there are rules to follow. Some hats are meant to ride low on the forehead or at an angle. Others need a little bit of hair to be shown on the front or side. Avoid a fashion calamity by learning a few do’s and don’ts for hat use, for it is almost better not to wear a hat at all than to wear one improperly.
The following are some basic rules that govern hat wearing:
- A hat is supposed to complement what you are wearing. It enhances your look. Do not wear a hat to cover up a lousy outfit. It will only make the hat look bad and yourself even worse.
- Choose a hat that suits what you’re wearing. If you’re wearing formal attire, do not put a baseball cap on your head. Similarly, do not wear a top hat to a football game. Think about your audience and the environment you will be in before selecting a hat.
- If wearing a hat is new to you, start simple. Do not exaggerate wearing a hat by getting one that is oversized or looks like more of a piece of art than a hat. Start simple until you get the hang of wearing a hat. Once you’re confident, then can you experiment with different styles.
- Wear a hat with a brim that matches the shape of your face. If you are tall, do not wear a hat with a narrow brim. Choosing the right brim for your hat will work wonders if you do it right.
- Wearing an over-matching outfit is a fashion faux pas. If you prefer to wear a leather hat, do not match it with a leather jacket and pants. People will definitely notice your leather hat, so you have to tone down the rest of your outfit; otherwise, your outfit will be overwhelming.
- When you wear a wool hat, make sure that it is clean. Regularly washing your wool hat will help maintain its form and appeal. A wool hat’s beauty is gone when it is dirty or in bad shape as a result of poor washing.
- Don’t be afraid to dress up to match your hat. Pull your hair forward a little bit while wearing a cap. Use bright shades of lipstick to accentuate your classic fedora. Be cautious not to overdo it, though. Your hat has its own merits. Don’t overshadow its style by being too loud elsewhere in your ensemble.
So you see, there is more to wearing a hat than just picking one out and throwing it on your head. Really think through your hat choice before pairing it with an outfit. If you stick to the rules of hat use, you’re sure to look smart and sophisticated.